It is a New Year…New Beginnings for 2017
2017….What are your hopes for your family?
Here it is the 3rd of January and I am just beginning to think about this New Year! Our holiday season was filled to the brim with family, fun and wonderful memories. The time certainly went quickly and suddenly it is the 3rd of January 2017! There really is no magic to the first of January (or January 3rd!), but this time of year always brings me to moments of reflection (after the holiday chaos calms down!). I usually have thoughts of ways to improve, some new goals and maybe a new mindset. However, the first of January really is no different from the start of every day, it is simply a new beginning. New beginnings are wonderful; it is a clean slate…a chance to do better or be better, a chance to enjoy more…a chance to love more. So here is to new beginnings…whether it is January 1st 2017, January 3rd 2017, or even the new beginning of every morning! (I love the idea of starting over each day…kids are great at this!) Here are a few hopes/goals that I have for families in 2017….(and that includes my family!)
- Families will begin each day with excitement and end each day with gratitude. My mantra this year will be “Grateful no matter what!” I believe every child should go to sleep thinking of the good things of that day and wake up with thoughts of the good things to come.
- Families will put down the phone, IPad, or turn off the TV increasing time for creativity, imagination, discovery and reading both for parents and children! Children need to see us be creative and read…I am going to read at least 6 books strictly for pleasure this year. (I now have it in writing….with witnesses!)
- Families will all live and love in the moment, realizing that parenting is a process over many years. One success or one failure does not determine our effectiveness as parents! Children have good days and challenging days…every day presents moments to love, teach, and cherish.
- Families will use words to build up each other …positive words results in positive feelings and actions. Less yelling and more praising.
- Parents will share positive parenting stories. So often I feel we pull each other down when we only talk about negative parenting experiences. Let’s help each other be positive about our lives as parents and families! Share today what makes your family wonderful!
- Families will eat together at least a couple of times a week and will try some new and healthy foods! I have a few new healthy recipes ready to go…new grains and vegetable combinations in many of them! (I will report back…there was a bit of groaning with the recipe I am trying tomorrow!)
- Families will embrace the temperament and personality of each family member, building on strengths and uniqueness and accepting each others’ weaknesses and challenges. After all, this is how the world works!
- Families will find ways to foster service. Together we will look for opportunities to volunteer, serve others, and help children to develop a passion for doing good for others. This can only result in a better world in which to live. Find one new way to make someone else feel good this year…do it as a family!
- Parents will take time for themselves both individually and as couples. They will nurture adult relationships and friendships, and take the alone time that is needed for rest, relaxation, and rejuvenation. Happy parents make happy families!
- What is your hope for parents and families in 2017??? Share your ideas for number 10!!
Let us all start each day with the resolve to love more, enjoy more, smile more, be grateful and be our best. That mindset will allow us to parent in the best way…one moment at a time. Happy New Year!
Take a breath, enjoy the joyful moments of each day, and remember you don’t have to be perfect to be the perfect parent.
- Posted in: Becoming a parent ♦ Enjoying parenting ♦ Family traditions ♦ Parent/child communication ♦ Raising a child with character
- Tagged: 2015, enjoying parenting, family bonding, family memories, growth and development milestones, Happy New Year, infant, New Year Hopes for Families, New Year Resolutions, preschooler, school age, toddler